How to Recognize a Scam Artist
The relationship may not be what you think, especially if your sweetheart:
- wants to leave the dating site immediately and use personal email or IM
- claims love in a heartbeat
- claims to be from the U.S., but is traveling or working overseas
- plans to visit, but is prevented by a traumatic event or a business deal gone sour
Scammers also like to say they’re out of the country for business or military service.
What You Can Do About It
You may lose your heart, but you don’t have to lose your shirt, too. Don’t wire money to cover:
- medical emergencies
- hotel bills
- hospital bills for a child or other relative
- visas or other official documents
- or losses from a temporary financial setback
Don’t send money to tide someone over after a mugging or robbery, and don’t do anyone a favor by making an online purchase or forwarding a package to another country. One request leads to another, and delays and disappointments will follow. In the end, the money will be gone along with the person you thought you knew.
Report relationship scams to: